Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was taken off Previcox and put on Metacam. She has

Customer Question

my dog was taken off Previcox and put on Metacam. She has had just on dose tonight, and I did not give her the double dose you are suppoesed to give the first night,.After reading that it is the worst NSAID to cause ulcers and liver problems, I don't want my dog to take it again. I had just taken her off Previcox for 6 days and wow did her leg swell up and she is hurting. Do I need again to wait a week, after giving this metacam tonight so I can restart her on Previcox? They say Previcox is the most safest. I thought I would also ask my doctor if we can give her Carafate to keep any NSAID from hurting her along with pepcid. she has bone cancer in her femur. she is 13 and when found has no spread anywhere else. She is getting bisphosuate bone enhancing IV every 4 wks, and has had radiation once. Her leg is swollen and is terribly painful, but now I realize how useful the Previcox was. After giving her the metacam, an hour later she got up on her feet and was not hopping as she normally does. As I said I never realized how well the NSAIDS were until I stopped using them. She is in her fourth month , and we can do another radiation when she is ready for it. The vet said only 2 because it can cause problems after that. But now she says maybe 3 after finding out Sandy didn't have the bone eating cancer she once thought. I am starting Artmestinin in a few days once I get this NSAIDS figured out. She is taking gabapenten 300mgs, and tramdol 1-2 every 8hrs. and was taking Previcox. The saving is not worth the risk to me to change to Metacam.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

While Metacam is used successfully quite often, you can swap to the Previcox if you have found it works well for Sanedy. In regards ***** ***** back, it would be ideal to have her on the Carafate while doing so to avoid any stomach Normal 0 irritation. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** "wash out" period, Metacam is noted to have an elimination half life after a single dose of 24-31 hours regardless of route. So, it would be ideal to give her a that time frame between the 2 drugs but if you are using the Carafate, you could likely just restart the Previcox once 24 hours has passed since you gave the Metacam.

All the best for Sanedy,

Dr. B.