Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My daughter is looking after a puppy that appears to have

Customer Question

My daughter is looking after a puppy that appears to have been abandoned. It's about 3 to 4 weeks old. It has been very hot here in Santa Rosa. The puppy keeps turning left in circles and appears to have a back right leg that looks as if it is weak and drags. I wonder if it has had a stroke or has some form of a neurological problem. Or can very hot weather affect his electrolyte balance causing these symptoms? We try giving him lots of water but he doesn't seem interested at the moment.
Any suggestions please?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I am quite concerned about this little one. The signs you have described tell us that it has a focal lesion on the left side of its brain. At this age, a stoke is not likely and the signs are not diffuse as one would expect with electrolyte imbalances. Instead, we'd be more concerned about head trauma (ie brain based bleed or swelling), focal infections (ie bacterial, protozoal), or a possible parasitic cyst in the brain (less likely though). In this case, you will be limited with what you can do at home. If it is related to a head injury, it may settle on its own with time. But otherwise, we'd be best to have it checked by a local vet. They can trial it on dog safe anti-inflammatories to reduce any brain swelling and also cover it againse those infections agents. This will give it the best chance of recovering (though if there has been any scaring on the brain, it may not fully become normal) and potentially becoming a normal wee pup.

Please take care,

Dr. B.