Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog basically ate a whole pizza and jar of teriake sauce

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Bella and her dietary choices tonight. I am happy to help you this evening. The pizza and the sauce in itself is not toxic but it can definitely cause quite the upset tummy. It is good that she has vomited to get some of the food up that she has eaten. But at this point and time you will have to let her digest it and pass through her. It would be a good idea to start her on pepto-bismol at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight by mouth every 8 hours. This will help coat her tummy and hopefully settle anything down that starts getting upset. You will want to probably continue this for a day or two. You will want to not feed food for 24 hours so this can all digest and pass through without adding any more food to her system. The pepto-bismol will help her get to much upset and hopefully prevent to much vomiting or diarrhea. If she vomits and continues to vomit or if she has diarrhea for more than 24 hours then she should be seen by your vet to make sure nothing more serious is going on. But overall she should be ok and no worse for the wear

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I probably didn't clarify this in my initial questions due to panic but while Bella enjoyed my home made pizza, it included ingredients that are extremely high in Salt for a dog with a sodium intolerance. I'm more worried about how to keep her hydrated rather than throwing up
..she's a clean girl and always seems to eat her vomit. That's the lab in her I guess.

Very good question. Since it is high in sodium you do not want her drinking large amounts of water at a time because this can cause its own issues. So you want to offer small amounts of water frequently to keep her hydrated. You can also give ice cubes if she likes to chew on them or lick them as they will introduce water into her system at a slower rate. The main thing is to make sure she gets plenty of water but spread out over a period of 12 to 24 hours. Dogs that eat this much salt will want to drink and drink and drink all at once and that is not what you want. So again ice cubes and small amounts frequently.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if I can get 8 teaspoons if pepto down her....she's a big girl. Are there more natural remedies

If you can't get pepto-bismol down her that is ok. Pepcid AC 10 mg is a great product to use also in cases like this. For a dog her size give 1 tablet by mouth twice daily. Naturally I am not sure of anything that may be easier to give her. I would recommend the Pepcid AC if possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks

You are very welcome! Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response for the time I have spent so I receive credit. Thank you!