Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog went to a pet sitting facility while my family went

Customer Question

hello! my dog went to a pet sitting facility while my family went on vacation for a week. He came back relatively low energy (he's an aussie so normally he's very very energetic) and has been pretty droopy for the past 2.5 days. He has been eating a lot of grass, an doesn't eat much food. His water intake is good, though. I took him to the vet yesterday, and the vet said he probably had a little virus, and it just had to run its course (heart and lungs sounded fine). However, today, merlin threw up, and his vomit looked like bacon grease. There were 3 or 4 kibbles in it, and the rest was white fatty material. the vet said I should start worrying if he starts vomiting or has diarrhea, and I'm especially worried because I've never encountered bacon grease vomit before, so I don't know what that means. Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

I will be pleased to talk this over with you on the phone ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, sorry, I actually can't talk right now. would you be able to email me?

No problem, please stand by for ten minutes or so while I type out a written reply for you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear Merlin is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. It is not uncommon for dogs to catch infections { viral or bacteria } when they visit places where other dogs gather such as the pet sitting facility you mention. These diseases often present as lethargy and / or vomiting and diarrhoea and inappetance. As your vet says these are normally minor issues which will pass on their own or with simple home remedies of some sort. The bacon grease issue is not particularly significant but any rich food can cause vomiting in the dog as they often have quite weak stomachs.

But be aware though that this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over again without delay.

2. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog these can often work well for uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or had some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has somehow acquired a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help as this has a probiotic type effect. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of tablespoons twice a day should be fine for a dog the size of Merlin.

Finally if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Merlin deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Merlin is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect viral infection ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Merlin. How is everything going?