How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz Your Own Question
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7318
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
petdrz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Seven year old lab had surgery of a mass in s stomach.

Customer Question

Seven year old lab had surgery for removal of a mass in his stomach. Initial vet visit on August 19th indicated the mass and the Dr. said to wait two days to see if it would pass. On August 21st took out dog back and they removed a mass of grass about the size of a large grapefruit. (Don't know why the Dr. didn't remove the blockage via an Endoscopy after the initial finding.) He was sent home on Saturday with several medications. He was brought to the Dr. on Monday the 24th. He was kept overnight on IV fluids and sent home the next day. On Thursday night he was taken to the pet emergency clinic. He wasn't eating and was very weak and unsteady. Again he was kept overnight and put on IV fluids. He did not improve and was brought back to the pet ER on Saturday the 29th and was brought home on Sunday the 30th. Today, 9/9/15, he is still eating poorly and is vomiting. Dr. says he is producing too much stomach acid. He has a med for it but it's not working very well. Can we give him Pepto or Tums, or prilosec? Or should we keep going back to the vet? Thank You.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance but I do have a few questions for clarification.

So if I am understanding, he had a scoping on 8/19 and on 8/21? Is that correct?

Did they indicate that they thought the mass of grass was the problem?

What med is he currently taking?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since you only responded with questions - to which I did not respond since the dog has improved considerably, I should not be charged fees above the $5 for which I have approved. Thank you.
J. Rickenbacker