Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 11 yr old schipperke has diabetes, poly arthritis and

Customer Question

My 11 yr old schipperke has diabetes, poly arthritis and inability to use right rear leg due to torn CCLs and a TPLO surgery that proved useless. Lately she has need to void in the middle of the night. Prior every twelve hrs like clockwork. After voiding she has a small swipe of mucous. Either from her anus or vaginally. It occurs on the outside of the vulva
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Nocturia - nighttime urination - has two main etiologies and they may intimately related. This first is overfilling of the bladder secondary to polydipsia (increased thirst) as would be seen with a unregulated diabetic but also many other metabolic disorders at Bella's age - chronic renal and hepatic insufficiency, urinary tract infection (UTI) involving the kidneys, Cushing's disease, Addison's disease (rare), diabetes insipidus (rare), and electrolyte (sodium, potassium, calcium) abnormalities. The second is a bacterial urinary tract infection involving the kidneys as mentioned above but occurring unrelated to other metabolic disorders.

The proper manner in which to proceed is to have a diagnostic panel of blood and urine performed. If the urine is quite dilute (less than a specific gravity of 1.020), finding bacteria indicative of a UTI can be difficult and so a bacterial culture and sensitivity of the urine is recommended in that case. Vaginal (more likely urethral) mucus is consistent with infection in those areas. Anal mucus indicates a colitis and excess mucus produced by inflamed mucus glands in the colon.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a senior panel in early August and was with her vet for eight days while I was having knee surgery. Her blood work was good for her. Slight alk phos elevation( but way lower than it used to be when joints were very bad four years ago) . Fructosamine good range for diabetic dog. Urine output not increased. I've just been offering her water because she slipped on wood flooring ( which usually has runners for her to keep from slipping but were removed right after my surgery) when she slipped all four legs went straight out including her bad one so now she is back to walking primarily on her front legs. Sometimes her stools have a slight shine on them but not always. Her appetite is good. I used to have urine tests strips for work that I could put into her urine to test specific gravity but they're expired and my knee surgery has kept me from work. I guess maybe I'll bring her to our vet for a bladder specimen to send out for UTI.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, if polyuria (increased volume of urine) isn't present, a urinalysis +/- bacterial culture and sensitivity for dilute urine should suffice. It sounds as if you're nicely on top of Bella. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more related question. My previous vet who was an internal med specialist passed away recently. She had Bella on purina OM to decrease her chance of pancreatitis . She had two previous episodes. The last one two years ago was quite serious. The OM has worked where the fat content is concerned but it's so low in calories that she has become quite slim over the past two years. In addition, I have been added a very small sprinkle of Forte Flora. She likes the taste. I know these are normal flora bacteria but fail to see why my previous vet wanted me to continue since she was not on any antibiotics. Could that be causing a problem.

I don't know of any mechanism for probiotics to be causing a problem. Frankly, we don't know if they're of value at all but we don't believe them to be harmful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.