Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Deb! I have another case. Client brought a dog to me this

Customer Question

Hi Dr Deb! I have another case. Client brought a dog to me this morning that they had been using a shock collar on. I attached a photo. the collar was worn for 8 days without ever being taken off. When the collar was taken off this morning it was smelly
with chunks of hair and skin coming off and looks like where the contact points are have open sores. Can you recommend course of treatment for Client to follow.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

The picture is a little fuzzy but trust me when I say I'm pretty sure I know how nasty his lesions must look since I've seen my fair share of them over the years.

The area will be infected if there's a distinct odor so you won't want to use any steroid ointment or cream on it. Otherwise, the approach will be very similar to the other client you had:

1. Clip up the fur as you have done.

2. Gently clean with dilute betadine or iodine (not full strength since it will burn).

3. Spray with Vetericyn several times a day. After dry, apply antibiotic ointment.

4. Make sure to use a harness instead of anything around the neck, especially the shock collar. This may be obvious to you but you might be surprised how many owners would still use a collar in this situation.

5. Aspirin could be given to help with inflammation/discomfort at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day with food as long as Kaiser isn't taking steroids or other nsaids. For example, the dose for a 60-70 lb dog will be 2, full strength 325 mg tablets at one time.

If the infection is deep, though, he may need systemic antibiotics; topical treatment may not be enough. You (or they) should know in a day or so if it's healing, worsening or staying the same. If the last two scenarios, then a vet visit may be prudent.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Incredible response Dr Deb! Thanks again for helping with such comprehensive answers!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure:)