Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog hasn't eaten anything now in two days. Yesterday she

Customer Question

My dog hasn't eaten anything now in two days. Yesterday she vomited bile. It wasn't formed at all. I did get her to drink a bowl of water last night. Now she won't drink anything. I can't get her into a local vet. I made rice and beef. She won't touch it. She urinated last night and this morning. She is usually around 52-53 lbs. I can't think of anything out of the normal that she has eaten. I am assuming that she got into something outside. She is still walking, but very lethargic. Not barking or vocal like she normally is. What can I do to make her feel better? I hate seeing her like this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good morning - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I see that your question hasn't received attention yet and I'm quite sorry. I think part of the reason is that it's going to be a difficult question to fully answer over the internet. Our job performance as experts is measured by our customer ratings, so sometimes when experts think they might get a bad rating, they'll shy away from a question. If you don't need any info anymore, please just disregard this posting.

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. A dose of pepcid (famotidine) of 0.25mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours can sometimes settle an upset tummy too. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

How is she doing now?

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ryanne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara