Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is 12 years old. few night now, he has been restless,

Customer Question

my dog is 12 years old. for a few night now, he has been restless, not sleeping at all. he normally sleeps with me but for the last few nights he climbs into bed with me but immediately jumps off. he wonders around and insists I open the closet door - which is very odd. He seems fine during the day - we follow the same routine daily - the problem is when I go to sleep
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is showing these changes. My suspicions since it is only at night is canine cognitive disorder.

I would advise a veterinary exam to rule out any metabolic or liver related changes causing his night time behavioral change. Once this is ruled out there are supplements that can be tried and if necessary medications as well to treat this new development.

Below is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/senior-dog-care/cognitive-dysfunction-in-elderly-dogs

There are treatments for this that can help in supplement form but also in some situations medications as well.

1.) Melatonin can help with barking or increased movement at night

2.) Proneurozone which is a supplement for brain function that can help with mental clarify in senior pets. It is available through your veterinarian but also on-line at stores like amazon.com

3.) Fish oil is essential for brain function and used at higher doses to help cognitive function. For example, for his size 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily. This can be a human formula

4.) Anipryl which is a medication used for cognitive function if the above options are not helping

5.) Alprazolam (xanax) which is not intended for daily use but is effective as needed (in the diazepam or valium family)

These are all methods that your veterinarian would have available to you to assist with some of the cognitive issues and some that you should be able to purchase at a local vitamin store or on-line

I hope the above options are helpful to you but if I can assist with clarifying anything or guiding any further questions you might have please don't hesitate to ask.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!