Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My dog has been on hypoallergenic food months because she

Customer Question

My dog has been on hypoallergenic food for several months because she vomits on other food. Lately she has been vomiting in the mornings and sometimes afternoons sometimes there is food sometimes she has bile mixed with hair. She is picky about the food
and still vomits on it. Is she on the right diet? My vet did not seem concerned. She also has reoccurring tract infections and struvite crystals continuously being treated by antibiotics. She is only a year and a half. Do you have any ideas? Her name is jinx
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Jinx today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did your veterinarian give you a diagnosis behind Jinx sensitivity to food? Has any bloodwork been performed on Jinx? Does the vomiting seem to coorelate with the antibiotics that he has been on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had blood work done about a month ago and everything was normal except her bun is slightly high. Just barely over the high mark. So nobody worried about that. I have been hesitant to give her another round of clavamox She just finished some a month ago. She has been on several antibiotics over the months she is going to develop a resistance to them. I had no diagnosis behind the food other than her vomiting lessened. I am an lvt so I worry about more serious problems.

Have you had her for since she was a puppy? It definitely not normal for her to have recurrent UTI's. With a female I would be worried if she has some type of anatomical problem going on with her bladder. Ectopic ureters would be my first suspicion because in dogs with that condition there bladder rarely completely voids which make them more prone to UTI's. As far as the vomiting, I would want to check that BUN again just to make sure nothing has changed. It may have been high because of the UTI. But I would also recommend a further work up for the vomiting. You may consider an ultrasound to see if there is any thing wrong with the intestines. But to get any definitive diagnosis you may need biopsies to rule out inflammatory bowel disease.

I know i have put dog's on a trial of prednisone when client's did not wish to pursue biopsies or other further testing just to see if they would respond with less vomiting. What is the name of the hypoallergenic diet?