petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog was diagnosed with Diabetes last month. They keep

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with Diabetes last month. They keep increasing his insulin and his readings continue to get higher (currently at 300). He is a large inside dog with insecurity problems and cries when I put him outside any longer then 1/2 hour. He is peeing in the house every 1 1/2 to 2 hours (he just started this a month ago, otherwise he never peed in the house). It was like an overnight thing one day he wasn't the next day he started. That's how we found out he had diabetes. I've tried diapers (unsuccessfully). I set my alarm to take him out every two hours when I go to bed. I have a one year old and a 3 year old and need to care for them (thus I am not getting any sleep). Is there a pill or something we can due to reduce how much he is peeing? He is drinking so much water. Would a salt pill or something help?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I am sure this is a frustrating problem for you, but the key to getting his polyuria and polydipsia (PU/PD) which means increased drinking and increased urinating under control is to get his diabetes under control. There is no medication that will decrease his urine production and withholding water can be dangerous.

Has he had a blood glucose curve run yet?

Have you been taught how to measure his blood glucose at home?

What insulin is he on and how many units is he getting?