Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is very lethargic. Doesn't want to get up. He eats

Customer Question

My dog is very lethargic. Doesn't want to get up. He eats fine but not until much later in the day when he finally gets up. He seems to be having trouble getting up on back legs, but when we finally get him outside to play after a few minutes he looks fine. No limping. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. on and off since July 4. Had a dog sitter that I think played with him more than he is used too and wore him out. But he has never really been the same since.
2. No
3. No
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with arthritis of the hips. You see, it is common for the patient to feel better once they begin to walk as this will improve the discomfort that takes place following long periods of inactivity. To diagnose your dog will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime, I would begin to supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine) long term. Cosequin will help by promoting the production of joint fluid, it may take several weeks before seeing significant improvement. You can buy cosequin over the counter in any pet store or online; give at label dose. Finally, once he is seen by family veterinarian they may also start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter