Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 4 yr old dog has had a few episodes of waking in the

Customer Question

My 4 yr old dog has had a few episodes of waking in the middle of the night due to his back end twitching and jerking. He tries to get comfortable but the movements make him get up and change positions over and over. This goes on for at least a couple hours. What could be causing this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome. I am Dr Loretta and would like to help.

It appears that your sweet Dante may have an unstable disc in his back tat is interfering with the nerve supply to his rear legs causing this discomfort and wakes him up. This can happen when he moves the wrong way or plays too hard. For now, give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs while trying to keep Dante immobile as possible to help this disc stabilize. The aspirin is an anti inflammatory agent and will release the nerve supply and ease his discomfort. If this does not resolve this within a few days, then have your vet examine him to be sure we have not missed something.

Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have questions. I am always happy to help.