Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have 12 7 week old dane puppies. I took them to the vet

Customer Question

I have 12 7 week old dane puppies. I took them to the vet last week for their first set of shots. While I was there, the vet tech said it looks like one of my puppies has an infection. Well, I took my litter of pups to another vet for a 2nd opinion. They said he has a yeast infection and prescribed me Clavamox 62.5mg and he is to take it every 12 hours and Baytril Otic but the vet also gave me Epi-Otic Advanced ear cleaner for the rest of my puppies.. I feel like the Clavamox is not working. Any other things I could try to heal this yeast infection? He has no fever.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeast infection is his ears***
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is this up only getting the Baytril drops in his ears or also the Epi-Optic like the rest?

Was a bacterial infection suspected as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only the puppy that was examined is getting the drops and pills. The other ones are getting the ear cleaner.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if a yeast infection was all that was diagnosed, then we'd not expect the Clavamox to achieve much. It is an antibiotic and used for bacterial infections. The same is the case for Baytril; but the preparation you have also has silver sulfadiazine which will reduce yeast load. Of course, if the yeast infection doesn't seem to be settling with these treatments, then do consider ringing your vet about an alternative. There are a number of ear treatments that have anti-yeast medication (ie Surolan, Canaural, etc) and even those that are yeast only treatments (ie Canesten ear drops with Clotrimazole). Just in case, their treatment plan is based on the pup having a ruptured ear drum (which can limit those aforementioned ear based treatments), you can also speak to your vet about oral anti-fungal (as yeast is a fungus) treatments here to help clear this for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet