Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12 yr old Staffy hasn't eaten much in 2 days. I was able

Customer Question

My 12 yr old Staffy hasn't eaten much in 2 days. I was able to get her to eat a hot dog at lunch, and a small amount of chicken and rice. Now, she won't eat a thing. She's drinking water, when I put it in front of her. Main concern....shes very lethargic,and won't stand up to go outside. Her breathing is shallow and she pants at times. It was 100 degrees today. Not sure if it's heat stroke, as I have had her in the house in a/c since 10 a.m. She has not vomited and does not have diareah. Could this be a bite or a sting? What should I do? Can I wait to take her to the vet in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any gagging, drooling, retching, lip licking, or grass eating?

Is she drinking much and can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Since you noted that she is breathing changes, can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any swellings?