Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

The dog I'm sitting has a hot spot on its back leg. Can I

Customer Question

The dog I'm sitting has a hot spot on its back leg. Can I put Fluticasone Propionate cream on it to remove inflammation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or is there something else you would recommend?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Fluticasone Propionate is quite a strong anti-inflammatory and one we use only very rarely in dogs. You could use it in a small amount as long as you can ensure that Bryce doesn't lick any of it. Otherwise, we tend to use OTC hydrocortisone cream in these cases, which can be alternated with the Neosporin as you treatment. And just to note in the case of all the creams and cleansing this area with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine), you will want to do this 2-3 times daily for him. As well, if he has any access to the area, do make sure to place an ecollar for the short term to avoid self-trauma and the spread of bacteria from his saliva onto this inflamed skin.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrea,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bryce. How is everything going?
nekovet