Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog hasn't eaten in 3 days and is now vomiting yellow. It

Customer Question

My dog hasn't eaten in 3 days and is now vomiting yellow. It Lso looks like he has been attacked. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Coby. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Coby's symptoms are a real concern, and the fact he hasn't eaten in 3 days is the main worry here. I would also be very concerned that Coby is likely very dehydrated by now. There are a number of potential causes for these symptoms in Coby, ranging from an acute gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or even an internal organ problem. Given he has been attacked recently, then it is even possible that he has sepsis (infection in the blood), or even a wound that has entered his abdomen and caused peritonitis (infection in the abdomen). For these reasons, you really will need to keep a close eye on your boy for the next couple of hours if you can. If he seems really lethargic right now or in pain - then I really would encourage you to get him seen by your local Vet or ER Vet now if you can.

For now, please check his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate now as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting tonight this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I would also recommend you with hold his food until the morning. Then from tomorrow you can start him on a bland diet if his vomiting has settled. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice as you have been feeding, is ideal for his. Make sure his has plenty of fresh water in the meantime, and if he isn't drinking much, then you should try and coax him by making up a chicken broth. For this, just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed him the warm soup. If he is just continuously vomiting now, or continuing to pace and whine, then you need to get him seen straight away. Likewise, if you try him with food again in the morning and he either isn't interested, or vomits the food back up, then you definitely need to get him seen as soon as possible.

The fact he also has a number of wounds is also enough of a reason to get him seen as soon as possible. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would follow up to see how you are getting on with Coby now. Hopefully you have had a chance to take him along to your local vet?

It would be great to have an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E