Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 10 lb dog was accidently give 1.5 units of Novolin N

Customer Question

My 10 lb dog was accidently give 1.5 units of Novolin N meant for my cat. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear about this accident. I am happy to help you this evening. This insulin is used commonly in dogs and is safe but obviously your dog did not need this dose. Although this was a lower dose this can still drop your dogs blood sugar dose. This will occur over the next few hours peaking usually at the 4 to 8 hour range. Unfortunately there is nothing to reverse the medication once it is in the system. You will just have to monitor closely. I would give a snack/small meal every hour or two over the next 12 hours to keep up the blood sugar. If you notice your dog becoming disoriented or dizzy then give a tablespoon or two of honey or karo syrup and contact your veterinarian. But hopefully giving small meal or snack every hour will help keep the blood sugar level high enough to not show any major signs.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response for the time I have spent so I receive credit. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead