Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My six month old miniature pincher mated with my two year

Customer Question

My six month old miniature pincher mated with my two year old rat terrier on her first heat and it was his first as well she has nipples that are getting bigger and her belly as well. Is she going to be okay from birth and how long will it take before she gives birth? And is she going to die?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. How long ago did this mating happen? Is she still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she's eating well and a lot and about almost 3 weeks agi
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is great that she eating well. The typical gestation time for dogs is 60 to 62 days from breeding till puppies are born. Is she going to have puppies? That is something that is definitely possible. Could this be a false pregnancy? That can happen with some females. They basically go through the hormonal and body changes that mimic a pregnancy and then never have a puppy. Here is a great link on this.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1896

Is she going to be able to have puppies easily with no birthing issues? That is the unknown. Odds are they usually have no problems. But problems can happen with puppies presenting wrongly or being too big to pass. A good idea is to have radiographs done around day 55 to see if there are puppies and how many there are.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?