Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Siberian Husky began to lose hair around s mouth and

Customer Question

My Siberian Husky began to lose hair around his mouth and eyes, and his eyes are blue, but now seem to be permanently tinted red. Nothing per environment or diet has changed. I need your help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your fellow's red eyes, and loss of fur around his mouth and eyes.

There are several things that can cause these symptoms.

The most common causes are autoimmune disease (body attacking itself) such as VKH syndrome (Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada syndrome), pemphigus or discoid lupus, zinc responsive dermatosis (seen more in artic breeds) a fungal, bacterial or skin mite infection.

Given his breed I would be most suspicious of zinc responsive dermatosis or an autoimmune disease.
Ideally your fellow would see his veterinarian for a biopsy of the affected skin areas because therapy will be based upon the diagnosis.
With zinc responsive dermatosis supplementing zinc allows us to control the disease. We don't want to supplement a normal dog however as too much zinc can cause gastrointestinal upset, bleeding and anemia and kidney and liver damage.
With autoimmune diseases sun screen, steroid therapy (topical and or oral), antibiotics with immunomodulating effects, and vitamin E or omega 3 fatty acids are all possible therapies based upon the diagnosis.

Things that you can do now that will not hurt are topical vitamin E and oral omega 3 fatty acid therapy.
You can puncture a vitamin E capsule and dribble the contents on his skin lesions.
You can also supplement omega 3's orally. I like the brand name products 3V caps or Derm Caps. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 80 pound cat could take 1600mg of EPA per day.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.