petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 13 yr. old Scottish Terrier, 36 lbs., may have injested a

Customer Question

My 13 yr. old Scottish Terrier , 36 lbs., may have injested a popsicle stick. Has high liver counts so surgery really isn't an option. His age prohibits so much. I acting fine but sleeping a lot which he does at his age. I did not see him inject the stick
but it was missing from the table and he was standing there so 99percent sure. Would have happened 2 evenings ago. Seems fine but have not seen him poop.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

If he potentially ingested it 2 days ago, the odds are good that he will continue to do find, but to be safe, I would at least have him examined and have an abdominal xray performed. You may not see the stick on a radiograph, especially if the chewed it at all, but if there is any obstruction or blockage due to it, that may show signs. The biggest concern if he swallowed it whole is an obstruction or a perforation, but he is not showing any signs of either from what you describe. If he has not passed stool since then, an xray could insure that he was not getting constipated as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z