Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Why is my dog wanting to eat grass and nothing else

Customer Question

why is my dog wanting to eat grass and nothing else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any vomiting or diarrhea?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no vomiting
very lazy
he weighs 174lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when a dog is eating excessively grass this is a sign of an underlying medical problem. In other words, it is a non-specific behavior indicating that the dog is not feeling well. This can be caused by disorders affecting the gastrointestinal tract like: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. Or, even part of a systemic disease. The fact that he is lethargic further supports and underlying medical problem. To determine the exact underlying cause CD will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian. In the meantime you can start CD on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours, the pepcid ac will help if this is related to gastrointestinal disorders.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter