Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I"m Ed, my dog killed a skunk this morning. she keeps pacing

Customer Question

Hi I"m Ed, my dog killed a skunk this morning. she keeps pacing around and is really panting heavily and drinking alot of water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has it been since this happened?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happened about 3 hours ago. Her gums seem ok. She has also stopped pacing about so much and has seemed to have settled down a bit in the last half an hour.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the symptoms that you were seeing are directly related to the skunk spray. It is important that you keep a close eye on her and make sure her gums do not turn pale. There is a rare condition that could develop called "Skunk toxic shock syndrome." Basically what happens is that the spray destroys the red blood cells of the patient leading to severe anemia with a fatal outcome. I would keep her out in the open today with plenty of air. Keep monitoring her gums through out the day. If she continues to drink excessively or gums turn pale have her checked immediately by a veterinarian for supportive care.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter