Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 3 year old lhasa apsi crossed with a poodle is shaking

Customer Question

My 3 year old lhasa apsi crossed with a poodle is shaking from the rear legs and is very lathargic, nornally very hyper and very greedy i put food down for him.and he left it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is he walking any different?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is just walking with a slouched posture and just a general lazy walk, no d or v and no existing medical conditions, he is just constantlt sleeping! He is normally quite lazy but if he hears something outside he normalls barks for ages but he didnt even get up off the couch thats how i noticed he is not his self!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is he arching is back when standing or walking?

2- Can you take a his rectal temperature?

3- Can you see if his gums are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is arching his back when he walks and his gums are pretty pale but not too pale and im un-able to take his temperature?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, Walter arching his back is a sign of either abdominal or back pain. The shaking of the back legs is also a sign of pain in the abdomen or back. His lack of energy is a direct reflection of not feeling well.

Having pale gums is not a good finding; this could be an indication of: Poor circulation, anemia, etc. When we put all of his symptoms together this could be caused by: Ingestion of a foreign body, pancreatitis, etc. It is also important to rule out disorders affecting the neuromuscular system like a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc.

Unfortunately, there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home for Walter that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. Walter will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Highly recommend having him checked this morning by family vet, do not wait. Take him in as a walk in emergency; the sooner he is treated the better the prognosis and response to treatment.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter