petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 2 dogs won't come inside and when they do they want to go

Customer Question

My 2 dogs won't come inside and when they do they want to go right back out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Hopefully your dogs were able to settle down. Are they acting more normal now or is this still a problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still a problem
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Can you identify what they are doing when they go out?

Can you tell me a little more about them. Age? Breed? Sex? Neutered or intact?

Have there been any changes to their environment?

Are they still eating and eliminating normally?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't eat yesterday.
One is a male husky age 10
One is a chow/golden mix age 10 female
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing changed this week ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They aren't doing anything outside ... When I go to them they are fine friendly but won't let me bring them in
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Some dogs just prefer to be outside, but if this is a new behavior, there must be something that they are sensing outside that is drawing them to want to stay out. It might be a scent or something that they saw (like wildlife) or another pet that may have wandered into there territory. Some dogs are very protective of their territory and if they feel that is being threatened by an intruder, they may feel a strong sense of having to be out there to protect it. This can even carry over and cause them to be so preoccupied that they don't want to eat.

If they are comfortable to be out there, I would let them stay our more for now and keep monitoring them. You may be able to get a clue as to what is the motivation that is drawing them by observing their behavior while they are out. I think that is the only way that you are going to be able to find out why they are doing this.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of a sudden
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

If you are asking if this could come on all of a sudden, the answer is yes. There keen senses are stronger than ours and they may have picked up on something all of a sudden.