Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I'm frustrated because I have a mixed breed dog

Customer Question

Hi Rebecca. I'm frustrated because I have a mixed breed dog (dachshund/whippet?) that looks like a long legged dachshund who, on May 4th, underwent emergency back surgery for IVDD.he lost the use of his back legs. I am almost 4 months out now and have been doing extensive pt including laser therapy, acupuncture and underwater treadmill and feeling seems to have returned mostly to his left leg but seems to have stopped near the hip joint on the right leg. My frustration is that I feel like this dog can walk again but I don't know how to go about it. I do use a wheelchair for therapy but it feels as if that is too much. Are their prosthetics? braces? Intensive in-house therapy centers? Where can I go to get answers? Or help finding the right "device"? to allow my dog to live a healthy and normal as possible life? Thank you for any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear about Jack. Thanks for requesting me; sorry I was not online at that time.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If he is showing some improvement, he may continue to slowly get better, but it is also possible that some nerve damage is irreversible. If my own dog had this problem, I would work with a rehab specialist. There are veterinarians who do things like physical therapy, acupuncture, etc. to help paralyzed dogs.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I would ask the surgeon at the practice where the surgery was done for a referral for a rehab veterinarian in your area. There are no good braces for dog back legs. The legs are wider at the top and narrow at the bottom, so things like braces tend to slide down and do no good. Prosthetics are sometimes made for dogs that have lost a leg, but if he has all four legs he does not need a prosthetic.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The wheelchair is what I would use until he is using both legs.