Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just noticed what looks to be a cancerous growth on the

Customer Question

I just noticed what looks to be a cancerous growth on the back of my 14 year old dog's neck. It has been oozing and has bled a little (I'm assuming it has been irritated by her collar). There is also another one by her chest that just looks like it's beginning.she has been lathargic and doesn't have much of an appetite lately. My parents don't get back to town until next Monday so I was going to wait for them to get back to take her to the vet, but if it looks serious, I want to know if I should take her immediately. Please let me know. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Actually, this look more suspicious of a recently traumatized or irritated wart. On its own, this would not warrant and emergency vet visit. Instead, we'd just want to keep it clean (ie salt water bathe) and if there are ulcerated/raw bits then you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream to just avoid secondary infection. As well, if the collar has potentially caught it, then we'd want to leave that off for now.

Otherwise, we do need to keep an eye on that appetite loss and lethargy. These are more concerning then the wart at this stage. Therefore, do monitor her and try to tempt her to eat. You can even consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Or if she isn't eating muchj, you could even try Blackie on puppy food (since it has more nutrition per bite and will get some nutrients into her even if she is eating poorly).

Overall, this just looks like an irritated wart and not uncommon at Blackie's age. Since it has bled, we do want to keep it clean but most importantly we'd want to address and monitor this poor appetite while your parents are away. And once they are home, it'd be ideal for her to have an overall check to make sure there is nothing depressing her appetite that needs to be addressed.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )