Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog had fleas and we treated them and got rid of them.

Customer Question

My dog had fleas and we treated them and got rid of them. she is now very nervous and wants to sit in my lap at all times and paces when I don't let her. I tried benidrill but it has no effect on her. can I give her part of a citalopram to calm her down?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your rescue dog. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I would not use this drug in dogs, when it was first studied, some of the dogs died suddenly of heart problems. I would use a drug that we know is safe such as Amitriptyline, or clomipramine, or fluoxetine, if this were my own dog. You will need to get a prescription for these types of drugs from a veterinarian who has seen and examined her.