Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a mini doxi 11 years old with chronic horrible dental

Customer Question

I have a mini doxi 11 years old with chronic horrible dental problems. She has had 19 teeth removed. She is a rescue that I have had almost one year. She is about 15 lbs. I have a vet appointment tomorrow for two other dogs and I will switch out one for her of course. In the meantime, I have 500mg capsules of amoxicillin. I would like to medicate her but not sure of dosage and how to divide the contents. I gave her a 1/2 tramadol this AM. It is an upper right under her right eye. She is eating and drinking. I am scared of an abscess and having it go to her brain. Should I wait or dose her? It is hard to the touch. Does not feel like a wasp or bee sting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Juli. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

This does sound like she has an infection in the big tooth just below the eye called the 4th upper premolar. Antibiotics might help until you can see the vet. I am not really worried about a brain infection, however.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

500 mg amoxicillin is what I would give to a 50 pound dog. It might give her diarrhea if she is smaller.