Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I bred my dog on July 19 and again on the 20th. She shown

Customer Question

I bred my dog on July 19 and again on the 20th. She shown some signs of going out of heat. Then on the 29th the stud got out and tied again. She was showing signs of pregnancy some weight gain loss of hair on tummy and around teats. She was on calcium supplements and about four days ago when I stopped the calcium, I noticed a discharge from her vulva. The discharge was long and thick white with cream and little tint of green. Her appetite is alright but not gaining any weight. She has gained inches around girth and stomach. I am concerned that she absorbed her pups. I know her last breeding she had a discharge of little white nothing like I am seeing now. She would be expected to whelp September 19th. I have a prescription of Clavamox should I give it to her. Her energy is fine and she seems happy and not ill. My vet is on vacation until Thursday. Please advise me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also want to mention both dogs are vaccinated and healthy. I was wondering if she could have absorbed the litter or a portion of the litter. Would the first breeding kill second breeding or vise versa. This is her third litter. All was successful with live 10 to 12 births. What signs should I watch out for so that she doesn't get toxic if she has lost her litter. She also has made a nest in her whelping box.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. That discharge concerns me and should be microscopically examined by Bouy's vet for the presence of microscopic pus and blood. The presence of green suggests premature placental separation. We need to determine what's going on inside her uterus and that's best done by ultrasounding her uterus which I recommend she undergo when her vet is next available. We shouldn't guess about the health of her pups and whether or not she has resorbed them. To answer you directly, Clavamox is safe but I'd be more comfortable having her examined prior to your administering an antibiotic.

Supplementing with calcium isn't recommended. Please see here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/practical-matters-do-not-institute-calcium-supplementation-during-canine-pregnancy and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.