Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I was just looking up information to help my 5 month old

Customer Question

Hi I was just looking up information to help my 5 month old Boston Terrier. She has been vomiting and from time to time she does seem to struggle breathing. She has displayed both of these symptoms today and I am wondering if she is over heated. It is hot outside and I am wondering if it is due to the heat?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Overheating can certainly cause excess panting, but if you think she is panting or having difficulty breathing aside from a period of exercise, this is concerning. This is something that means, if severe right now, a trip to the emergency vet is indicated (any breathing difficulty is an emergency) or if she is able to return to normally but having periods of excess/heavy panting or actual struggle to breath, then have her seen by her vet tomorrow for this.

The vomiting may or may not be normal. Many younger dogs will have occasional overnight vomit that occurs early in the morning or late afternoon from sour stomach in anticipation of the next meal. If she is doing this, then first try giving a snack at bedtime or lunchtime. If this does not work, then a trial with Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg every 12 hours would be a good idea. Some dogs only need the Pepcid at night if the vomit is in the morning.

However, if this does not describe her vomit and it is at random and increasing in frequency, then this in combination with the panting means she needs some testing to look for a larger problem going on and there are many possible causes ranging from intestinal parasites to infection (bacterial, fungal) to endocrine disease (addison's disease) and foreign body ingestion, inflammatory bowel disease, and the list continues. The further testing might include a stool check, lab work (CBC, chemistry profile and urine check) +/- X-rays.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.