Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is shaking and apperars to be breathing very

Customer Question

My dog is shaking and apperars to be breathing very hardtoday. Two days ago I took him to the vet because of diarrhea, the vet said just a stomach bug. Should i be worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Did your vet do any testing like xrays or blood work?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Is he panting?

5- Is he eating and drinking?

6- Is he lethargic?

7- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Xrays of chest was done last Saturday, and there was no blockage. He was vomiting two days ago, but it has stopped. Has diarreha. Has not eaten in three days. Drinks a little water. He is lethargic. Makes a noise when he breathes. And you can see his stomach moving when he is breathing.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- I will assume his heart & lungs were normal, correct?

2- Is he currently on any medications?

3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

4- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vet said they did not see anything on the xray on Saturday, but the heavy breathing started yesterday. Took him to the vet a gain today, and they gave him a antibiotic shot. They said his temprature was 103.4. Thought it could be an infection. But, the breathing and heart rate seem to bethe same or getting worse.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Does he still have diarrhea?

2- Can you re-check his temperature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still has diarrhea. Cannot check temp again, do not have themometer
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the increase in breathing could be related to the fever; for this reason it is important to re-check his temperature and see if it is getting worst. The normal temperature in a dog is between 99.5-102.5 F.

I would recommend you pick up a digital thermometer in your local pharmacy and recheck his temperature. If the temperature is normal then the breathing could be a sign of discomfort. Having a history of diarrhea, fever and unresponsive to antibiotics I would want to rule out a foreign body in the gastrointestinal tract. Though the xrays were normal he may need additional testing like an abdominal ultrasound. You see, there are certain types of foreign body that are not seen on plain xrays. For now though the first place to start would be rechecking his temperature. If you can not do this I would have him rechecked by a vet today.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!