Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I have a 4 year old Pit who weighs 58 pds. He started

Customer Question

I have a 4 year old Pit who weighs 58 pds. He started licking his tail and anus area and yesterday I had a good look and it is really swollen and red with a soft lump around around 11 to 3 oclock under his tail on the anus.I put warm compresses on it and wiped it with medicated pads for hemmroids and there was some blood. He is drinking and eating and although not as frisky as normal, he is not wimpering but continually is licking his anal area. Since it is Labor Day and no vet in sight, can I give him 500mg Amoxicillan or Cephalexin 500mg till tomorrow afternoon when I can get him to the vet? The whole are is really red and swollen. There is no odor or is he scooting on the floor. Thank you for your help. Oh, I do have pictures on my phone that I can send you if you want.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Homey today. Based on what you are describing it sounds like Homey may have an anal gland abscess. Since you are planning to take him to the veterinarian tomorrow I wouldn't bother starting any antibiotics on your own since it may interfere with what your veterinarian may plan to treat with. If the anal gland abscess has not ruptured yet then your veterinarian may decide to lance it then clean it out. He may also be placed on some antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory to help with the swelling. If the anal glands abcess has already ruptured then your veterinarian will likely want to clean the area out by flushing it with an anti-septic and placing Homey on medications that I already mentioned. In the mean while I would continue with the the warm compress and keeping the area clean. I would be careful with the medicated pads unless it just contains the active ingredient witch hazel. I would also recommend an Elizabethean collar to prevent Homey from licking the area. You can get those at any pet store.