Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our older Pug keeps thumping back leg/paw on floor like

Customer Question

Our older Pug keeps thumping back leg/paw on floor like trying to scratch something. We have taken him to our Vet twice to expel anal glands but still the same. Latest is we are giving him 25mg daily of Benadryl(on third day). Not sure if this is helping, maybe a little. He has been on a duck/potato diet for years now. He also takes Dinovite supplement. He is driving himself and us crazy.....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mikie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Did you have his ears checked? He could be doing this because of an ear infection, a polyp in his ear, or parasites in the ear. There is a type of mange, fairly rare, called Sarcoptes, that make the ears itch and the hind leg go up and down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are constantly working on his ears from previous infections. We use ear cleanser often... and now are trying these enzyme drops in ears. His left ear has brownish gunk and needs cleaning..
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Is it his left leg he thumps, or both? It sounds like the thumping could be from the ear infection. If there is infection, or yeast, or inflammtion in his ears, he may need more than cleaning and enzymes. He may need anti inflammatory drops, or somthing for yeast. Yeast infection are very itchy, and often cause a brownish discharge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there something we can purchase for the yeast infection?? Or are you suggesting we take him to our Vet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is mostly his left leg he thumps...
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

If it is his left leg, it probably is his ear. If her were mine, I would try to get the ear cleaned out down to the ear drum and start him on drops that contain something for both yeast and inflamamtion and possibly start him on some pain medication. The best things to treat him with would be by prescription, so seeing his veterinarian is best.