Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (mandible) and has a

Customer Question

hello, my dog was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (mandible) and has a large tumor growing from his jaw protruding inside his mouth. It is growing rapidly and bleeding. We have appointments with a surgeon and onocologist next week. The bleeding seems to be getting worse. Do you have any suggestions on how I can control the bleeding in his mouth? I'm aware that tumors bleed, I'd just like to find a way to slow it down or stop it temporarily
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Welcome for what? I'm not sure what is meant by your answer? I'm trying to figure out a way to slow down the bleeding inside my dog's mouth
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, The computer mixed up my questions! I apologize, I thought I was with someone else. The only way to really stop a tumor bleeding is to (obviously) remove the tumor. There is a Chinese herb called Yunnan Baiyao, that can be helpful to control bleeding.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The tumor being in the mouth limits using a topical product like peroxide, or Quik Stop. You cannot use those inside the mouth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is Yunnan Baiyao administered?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I sometimes try mixing epinephrine with saline, and applying that topically, in very tiny doses. That can control bleeding for awhile.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the first reponse. The website has recently changed how we see and answer questions, and it is still confusing to me.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yunnan Baiyao comes in capsules. It can be applied directly and also given orally. You can find it online and in stores that carry Chinese herbs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can epinephrine be purchased over the counter?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Interesting story. It was invented by a Chinese soldier in WWII who was told he needed to have his leg amputated, and he saved his own leg with this herbal treatment.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

No, you can't get epinephrine over the counter. A veterinarian would haves to mix it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll look online for the herbs then.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope it helps, and that you meeting with the specialists goes well. Let me know what you find out, and how he is doing, and if I can help with or answer anything else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. I hope you hear good news.