Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pet chihuahua got into some macaroni salad yesterday & it

Customer Question

My pet chihuahua got into some macaroni salad yesterday & it was quite a bit, actually both my dogs did but it only seemed to have affected Daisy, she has been throwing up non stop since yesterday afternoon around 3:00 pm & I'm concerned, she seems very lethargic & seems to have some swelling around her upper torso. Please help! I'm not sure what to do at this point, I did read that I could give her pepto bismol for an upset stomach but was afraid to try it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much did she eat?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea?

In regards ***** ***** swelling, is it behind the ribs (where her stomach lies)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums are pink, a little sticky. She seems to have a little discomfort when I press on her belly, no diarrhea & the swelling is right near her upper rib cage on both sides, you can see the swelling looking down on her. She ate at least a cup full if not more & she is still throwing up. She cannot keep any water down, it comes up as soon as she drinks it. I'm not sure what else to do, should I monitor her water intake? Can I give her some pepto bismol? I feel helpless at this point.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to note that the swelling you have described doesn't fit with her other signs. Therefore, if you can post a photo (using the paperclip icon over your text box or posting it anywhere else and then pasting the link here for me) that would be grand.

That aside, if she cannot even keep water down, then we need to tread with care. Especially as my concern with Daisy is that while we can see GI upset with ingestions of this nature, her signs do also raise suspicions of pancreatitis. This is a condition we often see when sensitive dogs indulge in fatty/rich people foods. And it can cause intense nausea that often requires injectable anti-vomiting treatment to halt before we can even consider oral treatments.

Now if you think she can keep a wee bit down, then we can try an oral supportive care measure at home. Unless she has diarrhea, we'd not use the Pepto Bismol. Instead, it would be better to use an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If she can keep that down and settles, then you can try her with a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. These will help with both GI upset and pancreatitis.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for Daisy's signs after eating this macaroni salad. And I would note that if she cannot even keep any water down, we'd need to be thinking about getting her local vet involved to bypass her mouth with injectable treatment. Otherwise, you can try the above antacids for her, but Pepto is not ideal. If you do use the above and she settles, then do put her on a light diet, monitor, and do post a photo of this odd swelling so I can check that for you.

Please take care,

DR. B