Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is voming and shivering

Customer Question

My dog is voming and shivering
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do I need to give my info
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I do apologize but the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been vomiting? What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since yesterday, her vomit was white yesterday now it is just clear. Her gums pink, she did not keep her water down this morning. She doesn't not have any discomfort when pressing her belly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I must warn you that if Chloe cannot keep down any water, you will need to tread with great care. This is because dogs that nauseous often need us to bypass their mouths with injectable anti-vomiting medication to halt their vomiting and give us a chance to settle them. So, I will outline my thoughts and our options for her, but if she is that nauseous, then we may be in an urgent situation.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. The shivering is just a sign of possible fever or that she is feeling generally unwell. Though her signs of stomach upset could be being triggered by a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, out first step here will be to rest her stomach for a few hours. Water should be left down in small sips or as ice cubes. If she can stabilize and keep a bit of water down, then we can consider treating her with an antacid. There are a number that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if she has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Again though, if she continues to struggle with water or cannot keep this down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Though if she can keep that down and once that has had time to absorb, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful,give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut.Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that we then slowly wean her back to a normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there area few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start by resting her stomach and then using supportive care. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )