Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 year old German Shepard has 2 bumps. They are more

Customer Question

My 4 year old German Shepard has 2 bumps. They are more noticeable now because she has less hair due to her summer coat. One of her bumps she had a couple of years ago had I took her to the vet and they didn't seem worried, but said if it got bigger to bring her back. Now 2 years later it just seems to stick out more, like the tip of an eraser, but in the past couple of weeks the bump has flattened and is softer. I just discovered a second one on the back of her neck which is hard and the size of a small eraser tip. It feels like there is a head on it but I don't see one. I dint know if it's just my concern, but in the past few weeks it seems to be sticking out more. I'm so worried it could be cancer. I have had 10 dogs and a few of them had fatty deposits and they were a different, flatter, softer bump. Your opinion? I know you will say to take her to vet. On her lower back she has a small scan that won't go away. I dint know if it was one of these bumps that popped/draini
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Did you mean a small scab?

Is there any discharge from that?

Any wound there previously?

Can you take a photo of these lumps? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket,Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The photos don't really capture what I see/feel. The photo labeled "bump" is on her neck, feels like an eraser tip under the skin. I just discovered this bump. There is no head on it or skin discoloration. She had one like this on her side a couple of years ago and it seemed bigger over the summer, could be because I brush her and she has a summer coat and so it's more visible. But in the past month it seems to have flattened out to a bigger circumference but now it's softer. The photo labeled "scab" is a dry crusty patch, on lower back, last week, after not going away for several weeks, it crusted into a bigger clear scab into her hair, as if something might be draining? I was just thinking it might have been one of those bumps that burst. But this morning she has another one in the same area and I'm thinking it's just a skin condition. She can reach them to lick them. Should I put an ointment on them? Bathe her and see if soaking her helps? She hasn't had fleas all season although I did one flea treatment in the beginning of the summer. I was bathing her once a month which may have been too much? She's an indoor/outdoor dog, we live in the hills in studio city, the weather has been toasty and for some reason we have had a lot of flies the past month! Could this be fly bite??? I take excellent care of her, 3 mile walks daily, she is lean, great diet, no grains, I add coconut oil to her food and a kelp supplement that has vitamins and glucosamine that I have given get since she was a puppy. I have mixed up her can food this summer trying new grain free brands that I add to Honest Kitchen and Origens dry food which she has had since a puppy.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Unfortunately, the neck lump doesn’t seem to be amenable to photography. Still from your description it sounds more like a cyst or blocked gland under the skin. And in the cause of both, if they did rupture under the skin that could cause the changes you have detected. Often they will settle but in time we could have the “eraser” type feeling return as the gland/cyst refills. So, I would just monitor that one at this stage.

Otherwise, I would be suspicious that he has had a recent small wound where the crusty patch is. This could have been a fly bite, but any breech in the skin can cause it. As well, if you are seeing pus, this is a sign of infection. In regards ***** ***** you actually want to be more aggressive with your care of the lesion. Ideally, we’d want to cleaning it 2-3 times daily with a dilute antiseptic (ie salt water, betadine, chlorohexidine). Afterwards,we’d want to pat it dry and then put the antibiotic cream. As long as it doesn’t feel swollen deeper in the tissue (as we could have an abscess underlying), we can hopefully settle this for her. Though if she can reach it, she may need to wear a tshirt or an e-collar to prevent her from licking (especially since the bacteria in her saliva will just re-infect the area).

Overall, we do need to be more proactive with that crusty lesion. Therefore, I would advise the above for it just now. If it settles, we are happy but if it continues to fester then we'd need to have it checked. Her vet can ensure there is nothing stuck in the tissues under the scab and treat her with antibiotics to help it heal. Otherwise, the neck lump isn't a major worry here. As I noted before, it sounds more like a cyst or impacted gland within the skin that has ruptures. So, we'd just want to monitor that one at this stage.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the great advice. I found that I can get Betadine at Walgreens but could only find a gallon of the chlorhexidine. Would this solution work, or do you know of a premixed brand of what you are suggesting? If not, what proportions of each do u suggest?http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0078LOSW0/ref=pd_aw_sim_199_1/192-9048604-1510632?ie=UTF8&refRID=0G7ESGSRCMY25AC0TWQX#immersive-view_1441731399243
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the spray I just found on line which was the link I sent above, will this work? And can I use any human grade over the counter antibacterial cream?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Actually I just giving you some examples of what can be used to cleanse the area (I tend to list a few since availability of each can vary depending where people live). You don't need to use all 3. Just one is fine and therefore the spray you noted would be absolutely fine to use. And in regards ***** ***** cream, we do just use OTC human ones like Neosporin.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome! You are the best! Thank you for all your advice and quick response. My daughter Tess Bell write you last night as her senior dog at another location has nasty deformed bumps, she thinks looks cancerous, one was oozing, near her collar so we took it off. Don't know if you can find her request, her email is***@******.***. It really looks bad! My daughters dad is out of town for one more week, not sure if we should wait for him to come back to take her to vet. I hope you can find her request and give her advice! Thnx!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I cannot see emails/names, so I cannot look up the question if it has already been answered by another colleague (and I don't see it on our current list). Still, based on what you have said, I do suspect you are referring to Blackie with the inflamed wart type mass at the collar line. If that is the one, I did actually answer her about that yesterday. She hasn't replied or left any feedback, but I do hope that she has at least seen my response about that.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's Blacky!! Excellent! I'm so glad YOU responded! It was last night that she sent the request in and she went to bed, still asleep! Thank you!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

LOL..it is a small wee world. :)

In any case, there is a reply awaiting her when she is back online.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what a small world! I am the one that found the oozy bump around Blackies neck. Her dad is out of town and I'm helping take care of the animals so I have no idea how long she's had these bumps! Hopefully Tess will wake up soon and call me with your response as we are worried. Thank u so much again! So can I respond back to this conversation in a week or so to let u know how my dog is doing?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

You are welcome to give me an update in the next few days/weeks. Even after you leave feedback, this question will be accessible if you did need any more help with these.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! Thank u! Where do I rate you? Or do I wait for this to be closed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see at top "finish by rating", ok so I will wait.ūüėÄ
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome,

You can do that at this stage and as I noted, it won't end or close our conversation.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cleo. How is everything going?
nekovet