Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 8 1/2 month puppy is whining and biting at s rear end. He

Customer Question

My 8 1/2 month puppy is whining and biting at his rear end. He is a Bernese Mountain Dog and it is very hot outside.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He can't get comfortable, has gas and is digging at his bed.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 8.5 month old puppy Bentley who has been whining and biting at his rear end tonight. There are a number of things that could be going on here tonight, so you are best to continue to keep an eye on him for another hour or so if you can.

In regards ***** ***** biting at his rear end, there are typically three main causes for the sort of behavior including: 1) full or blocked anal glands, 2) fleas, 3) intestinal worms. For this reason, do make sure that Bentley is up to date with an appropriate flea treatment such as Advantage, Advocate or Frontline. Applying these as directed is very important ongoing. Fleas will typically live and bite around the tail base, so they could definitely be the cause of your boy's itching this evening. Also make sure he is also up to date with deworming treatments. For this an allwormer like Drontal, Milbemax or Panacur is ideal. Typical treatment is every 3 months (depending on the product you use).

If Bentley is still quite irritated right now, then you could try him with a little Benadryl. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Benadryl in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

In case there is another issue going on here altogether, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Bentley and hopefully his symptoms settle such that he is able to relax and just sleep tonight. Keep him inside with the air-con on for now in case this is related to the heat. Continue to offer him fresh drinking water and don't feed him until the morning now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would follow up to see how Bentley is now? Hopefully this irritation settled for him overnight!

It would be great to get an update from you if you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?
Pet Doc