Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 35 pound border collie that ate some of my other

Customer Question

I have a 35 pound border collie that ate some of my other dog's Proin medication. I wasn't sure how much. I induced vomiting within 15 minutes with hydrogen peroxide. Its been over an hour and she seems withdrawn and uncomfortable. Is it possible she is feeling poorly from throwing up or is there something else I should be looking for.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

How many milligrams of PPA was in your other dog's pill? A 35 lb dog could be administered up to 2 mg/lb (70 mg) safely. Most likely side effects include vomiting, anorexia, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, urine retention, tachycardia (fast heart rate), and hypertension.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pills are 25 mg but I don't know how much she ate. They are chewables and she got the bottle and chewed it open. The vomiting was successful, she threw up her dinner and I'm assuming the pills. She just seems unwell.

You did just what you should have done and along with those symptoms I mentioned, the peroxide irritated her stomach lining - that's what induces emesis - and so there's plenty of reasons for her to feel yucky. Most important, if she doesn't appear agitated she's not experiencing the more worrisome signs of tachycardia or hypertension. Depending upon how much ended up in her bloodstream she could remain symptomatic for up to 24 hours. Up to 8 hours is more likely, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.