Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I was wondering if you could provide some additional

Customer Question

Hello, I was wondering if you could provide some additional information on giardia in puppies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My new puppy was recently diagnosed with giardia and is currently on medication to treat it. Is this contagious to humans and how contagious is it to other animals? I am worried that this is not only going to make my puppy sick, but is going to spread throughout the family pets and people (we have a few children who are the house a lot). Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** initial question, Giardia can be spread to people from animals (and vice versa). It is not considered a high risk infectious agent for people (any other dogs would be at potentially more risk) but there is a chance that the children and any immunosuppressed people handling this pup or its feces could be exposed and contract this protozoal infection.

Therefore, with this in mind, you need to consider restricting access to the pup until he is clear of this infection. This means he needs to be separate from other animals to limit spread and potentially kept away from any children at this stage.

Otherwise, for those who do handle him, we need to be using good hand washing hygiene after handling him. Ideally, any feces from this pup need to be disposed of immediately and gloves should be worn. If he is going outside, it'd be ideal to use an area where the other pets have no access. As well, anywhere he has had access to needs to be thoroughly cleaned. Hard surfaces can be be washed with dilute bleach (3/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water). Bedding, toys, and balls need to be washed on hot settings in the washer or dishwasher.

Overall, having him on treatment is the most important step. Further to this though, as there is a risk of spread to other pets and people in the household, you need to limit where he can access (to reduce house contamination), who can access him (to reduce spread to people at this stage), and use good cleaning/hygiene when handling him and any items he has been in contact with. If we do this, we can reduce risk to everyone and prevent him from re-infecting himself after treatment.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )