Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chihuahua has had diarrhea days. s eye are watery and I

Customer Question

Hi
My chihuahua has had diarrhea for three days. His eye are watery and I just noticed his left nostril looks oink and a bit inflamed. He's also been sneezing a lot. We think that both our dogs any have gotten Mange from a hotel we stayed in. It had carpet and they were both super itchy after. I have bathed them in dennorex and no more itching.
My husband also informed me the chihuahua ate something on his walk the other day. And then that's when his diarrhea started
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What does your husband think he ate?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood or mucus?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

What color is the eye and nasal discharge? Just clear?

Any changes to the eyeball itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I just took him to the hospital.
To answer your questions here's the responses:
Not sure what he ate he's super quick
Diarrhea looked like kid kibble and water today blood and mucus
He's eating and drinking normally.
Going pee normal
His discharge is clear no changes to his eyes
His right lower nostril is pink but it's normally black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fever his temp was good
The vet says he may have a parasite abs gave me a dewormmer.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Since you have taken him to his vet, did you wish to still discuss his situation?

Or would you prefer me to send your question back to customer service for a refund?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'd like a second opinion, thank you for offering the refund though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, that's grand.

Could you just tell me how much blood and mucus you saw? A spoonful, more, less?

Had he had any diet changes?

Did his vet examine a stool sample for worms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not much but todayntherscbben a mix of light blood mucus and his dog food. Maybe a teaspoon of poop. He had a few bouts today but I just fed them ground turkey with rice and broth. No diet change just possibly something he snatched up on the walk. No they never asked to see his poop
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I would just note that the watery eyes and nose (where the black is just likely hyperpigmentation related to nasal irritation) is likely just a side issue. We can see opportunistic viral agents cause minor signs when the immune system is being challenged by something else. Therefore, as long as those stay clear (where snotty/yellow/green is a sign of bacterial infection and an indication for antibiotics), we'd just want to monitor those +/- flush his eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution).

Now in regards ***** ***** diarrhea, as he cannot tell us what we ate, we can only assume this is our culprit. Still it was reasonable for the vet to worm him just in case we had a parasitic cause. As well a light diet as you mentioned is good. Other options that you could also use include pasta or boiled potato in place of the rice. And you can also substitute the turkey for boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, or cottage cheese if you wish. As well, you can also add a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran to whichever you feed to bulk up his stools.

Though further to this, I would note that since the blood is scant (and likely just secondary to the diarrhea irritating his colon), you could also use a dog safe anti-diarrheal. In this case, you could use Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) from your local pharmacy. Or you could alternatively use a Kaolin/probiotic for dogs like Fast Balance, Propectalin, or Protexin Prokolin. All are available over the counter at your vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. And these just help slow the abnormal stool and just make sure he doesn't loose any more fluid or nutrition then he has to.

Finally, if you use those alongside with your vet's care, we will hopefully see him settle. If we don't for any reason, do consider submitting a stool sample. This can be sent for testing to tell you what is actually causing the diarrhea (ie protozoa, parasites, bacteria, viruses) and that can ensure you identify anything infectious if present and target treatment to properly clear them for your lad.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you. Like I said its nice to get a second opinion;) have a great week thanks again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you some additional help on tackling this diarrhea for your lad. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet