Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 9 week old puppy appears to have ear mites. All of the

Customer Question

My 9 week old puppy appears to have ear mites. All of the treatments say "do not use on puppy younger than 12 weeks". Can I use the medication anyway?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other options do I have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I would be very hesitant to use an ear mite medication without a diagnosis in a puppy this young. Ear mites are very uncommon in puppies and more common in kittens. He is at higher risk of having a yeast infection than ear mites and since ear mite medication over the counter tend to be oil based it can exacerbate a yeast infection if medications are used without a diagnosis

I would begin with using white vinegar and water combination 50/50 and cotton balls to clean the ears out well (no q-tips!) and continue this every other day along with benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours to control the itch until your veterinarian opens on Tuesday to diagnose the cause and begin appropriate treatment, and if it is ear mites one that is safe in a puppy that is his age. If it is ear mites there are actually topical medication (prescription) that can be applied to his skin that is effective agains ear mites!

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any other assistance today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize, I had already fully typed out my answer when you posted you requested a live phone call. I am unable to comply with this request and can opt out to allow another expert to assist you if you prefer? Please do not rate me negatively for responding at the same time as the request for a live phone call..

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am on-line another 10 minutes if I can assist you further or if you prefer I opt out to allow another expert to assist you via telephone...

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I thought I would check in on you both to see if you have any additional questions I can assist with today? Have you tried cleaning the ears since you asked the question? Is your new addition more comfortable?

If you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask! If you are satisfied with my responses please rate so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Caleb Van Rhee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Moose. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman