Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My shin txt ate a small of lobster at a family picnic. She

Customer Question

My shin txt ate a small amt of lobster at a family picnic. She has thrown up a couple times. Should I do anything.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Pandy. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. While there are a number of reasons why Pandy may have vomiting and diarrhea now, it is likely related to the lobster she had today if that was the only thing that seemed to be different today. For now, you are best with holding her food until the morning. From then, just stick with cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for 2 - 3 days. You also need to make sure she is drinking plenty of water and if she is hardly drinking anything right now, then you should try making up a chicken broth for her. Just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup. If her vomiting continues this evening and she can't keep any water down - then she could quickly become dehydrated.

If you can, please check her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate now as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid . I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would follow up to see how Pandy is doing now? Hopefully the vomiting and diarrhea have both settled.

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E