Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a dog with a swollen looking yet soft abscess looking

Customer Question

I have a dog with a swollen looking yet soft abscess looking thing on the side of his anus. It is at 3 oclock if you are looking straight at his bum. I but warm compresses but the whole area so red and raw from his licking. Of course it is Labot Day Weekend. Can I give my dog Amoxicillan to get him through till Tues.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating and drinking and still somewhat active but you can see he is not himself
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Amoxycillin is a commonly used broad acting antibiotic in small animal veterinary medicine and is often used to treat dogs for a variety of diseases including anal gland abscesses which is probably what your dog is suffering from. While often gross looking anal gland abscesses are rarely serious but it would still be best to have your vet check things over at the first opportunity.

2. A typical dose of rate for amoxicillin would be around 10 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day for say a seven day course.

3. Where I supply information about drugs or dose rates I like to give a link so that clients can check the accuracy of what I have told them and read the other information such as contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect anal gland abscess ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.