Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Thank you, my Cocker spaniel also swallowed a 3 to 4 inch

Customer Question

Hi thank you, ***** ***** spaniel also swallowed a 3 to 4 inch Narrow steak bone, there was a slight point on one end, should I still induce vomiting?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara - I'm a licensed vet who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Sadie is giving you such a fright tonight!!! I know it can be really scary when this sort of thing happens :)

Right now you have two choices, really - one (which might be the safest but is the most expensive) would be to go to the ER to have the bone removed endoscopically. This might be overkill, but in some cases owners do have this done "just to be sure". Unfortunately, because of the cost, it's not something that's easily available for most owners.

If the bone was a little jagged or pointy, I wouldn't suggest making her vomit, as it may damage her esophagus on the way back up or poke into her stomach as it is contracting during vomiting. Believe it or not, small bones are digestible - the issue is whether or not they will cause a problem before they digest.

Your second option is to take the wait and see approach. You can feed bulky foods like bread, but I would not overdo it - we don't want to get crazy and cause her to have a GI upset or vomiting from the unusual things we are feeding her. When I have patients who eat something naughty, I typically instruct owners to monitor them closely for vomiting, abdominal pain, or unwillingness to eat. If any of these things happen, we want to check them out. If they're acting completely normal otherwise and are continuing to eat, then I'm not too concerned.

While the size of bone you're describing could potentially cause an issue, it's more likely that it won't. However, if she begins to vomit or shows belly pain or won't eat - it's time to see the vet.

Please let me know how she's doing!

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Sara. Can I write back tomorrow if I have another question?
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely :) I expect to be here on and off throughout the day. I hope that you have a quiet night!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sadie. How is everything going?
Doc Sara