Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 17 yr old pekeinse that suffered a fall and may

Customer Question

i have a 17 yr old pekeinse that suffered a fall and may have hit her head. she is walking normal did not knock herself out. does occasional shake her head. her pupils are not seeable because of eye disease her gums are black the accident happened about 7 hrs ago my question is can I give her pain medicine and/or steroid
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food repeated at 12 hour intervals is safe. Steroids are no longer recommended to address brain trauma in dogs. Acetaminophen at 7 mg/lb thrice daily is safe but its efficacy is circumspect and it's not antiinflammatory. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen both of which are toxic to dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.