Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

We found a dog and we didn't know she was pregnant, now the

Customer Question

Hello we found a dog and we didn't know she was pregnant, now the dog just had 2 puppies and they are looking for milk and there is no milk Coming out!!!!!! What can we do? And what can we give these puppies so they don't starve ???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Mocha today. I just have a few questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? When you say that there is no milk coming out are you saying you tried to express the glands and no milk was produced? Do you notice any damage to the mammary glands?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks a bit swollen, and I see the puppies try to get milk and nothing comes out?
I'm just concern about the puppies! What can I give them to replace the mom's milk ?

Thanks for deciding to take care of the puppies. Many pet stores sell a puppy milk replacement that usually comes as a powder which you can mix with water to feed the puppies. The products usually come with a bottle with a nipple for easy feeding. Just be prepared to feed the puppies every 2-3 hours and to stimulate them to urinate and defecate. The product is called Esibilac. I included a link of an example of a product so you know what to look for.

Puppy Milk Replacer

Let me know if you have problems with the link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I stimulate them to use the bathroom ????
And all the pets store are close now???
Any suggestions?

Okay here are a couple of options for you as far as homemade recipes for Puppy Milk Replacer. These are not Ideal and should only be used temporary until you can get the real thing. 1 cup of whole milk, 2 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon salad oil, and 1 drop of a liquid multivitamin if you have it. Mix the ingredients together in a blender. Whether using a commercial or homemade milk replacer, make only enough for a day's feeding, throwing out any leftover formula. Another recipe is 3 parts evaporated milk—not skim—to 1 part water. A third recipe consists of 1/2 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 to 2 egg yolks, 2 Tums as a calcium supplement and a teaspoon of vegetable oil. A fourth recipe consists of 1 cup whole milk, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 pinch of salt, 3 egg yolks and 1 drop of liquid infant vitamins. Hopefully one of these recipes will work for you.

The way you stimulate them to use the bathroom is to get a warm cloth and gently rub their genital area After a couple minutes they should go to the bathroom.

If you don't have a baby bottle to feed them then you can try a eye dropper

Also when stimulating them to use the bathroom they don't have to go every time. But you just want to make sure you do stimulate them at each feeding to make sure. If they don't go after 12 hours then you may need to be concerned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. How do I stimulate them to use the bathroom???

You use a cloth with warm water and gently rub around their genitals for a couple of minutes. It is supposed to act the same way as the mother's tongue when she stimulates them. Is the mother paying any attention to them now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but she has not eaten all day long ;(

How long ago did she have the puppies? I know it can be normal for some females to have a decreased appetite for a short period shortly after giving birth, but if she is not producing milk I would be worried something serious is going on with her. Does she seem warm to the touch as if she has a fever? Any diarrhea or vomiting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had the puppies like about 2 hours ago. She has not drank water or ate all day long. And she trow up once before giving birth. Now it seems like there is milk coming out. The puppies are sucking on it non stop?... But how can we be sure that there is milk coming out?

It can be a little tricky to tell with dogs if milk is coming out. One way is too see is to attempt to gently express the mammary glands by gently squeezing the gland from the top and working your way down. If you see milk come out then that will confirm it. Also you can pull one of the puppies off the mother and if you see some milk around or in the mouth then that will be confirmation as well. As far as the mother If she just had puppies 2 hours ago she may not want to eat anything for several hours. If this continues through tomorrow then it will be an issue. Nursing requires a lot of energy and if she does not eat she may become weak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay we see milk coming out. But is it normal that she had not eat all dayyyyy long ???? Or drank water?
Last time she ate or drank was last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should we force water with a syringe?

I would offer some water if you can as long as she is not vomiting

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Great thank you.
Should I take her to vet anyways ?

You may also want to see if you can check her temperature. The best way to do this is too purchase a ear thermometer from a drug store. If her temperature is greater than 103 then she may have an infection. I would definitely take her to be seen by a veterinarian if she still not eating by the morning. She may be having some complications from the pregnancy so you definitely want to rule that out.