Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog was diagnosed with trachietis. He now vomits up only

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with trachietis. He now vomits up only water with mucous. His appetite is great. Don't know what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is he vomiting after hacking/coughing or does he vomit without coughing?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 30 pounds. He does hack, sometimes gag than vomit. He is not on less now. Hasn't been for at least a month and half.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is it fair to say that the vomiting is usually after or during an episodes of hacking/gagging?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But only after he drinks water. He holds his food down. The water seems to make him hack
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it sounds like your dog is suffering from a collapsing trachea; this is when the rings around the trachea collapse and the dog will hack/gag to open it up. When drinking if they drink fast this can also cause the gagging/hacking. This is what you can try:

1- Raise his drinking bowl on to a small stool so it forces him to raise his head when drinking.

2- Start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!