Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Is tramadol better than buffered aspirin dog with arthritis?

Customer Question

Is tramadol better than buffered aspirin for a dog with arthritis? My dog seems so much happier on the aspirin than the tramadol.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How old is your dog?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How many milligrams of Buffered Aspirin and Tramadol are you giving and how often?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is an 11 year old springer in good health besides arthritis in her hip. She is so much perkier and mobile on aspirin but are there side effects that are worse than tramadol She weighs 45 pounds and is getting a half of one buffered aspirin two times a day or 50 mg of tramadol 3 times a day. Are there long term effects from the aspirin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is aspirin a long term treatment plan?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Aspirin is not better than Tramadol, but different. You see, aspirin besides helping with pain it is also an anti inflammatory medication which helps with the inflammation seen with arthritis. Tramadol is only a pain killer, it is a better pain killer than aspirin but it needs to be used daily; using it occasionally may not be as good.

Aspirin should not be used long term, typically we only recommend short term (1 week) or your dog can develop gastrointestinal ulceration. A better option would be using a different type of non steroidal anti inflammatory like Rimadyl which is an excellent pain killer and anti inflammatory. She will need to be off aspirin for 1 week before starting Rimadyl, during the wash out period of aspirin you keep her on Tramadol daily.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She cannot be on rimadyl because it negatively affected her liver. So I was thinking of keeping her on the aspirin as opposed to the tramadol.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, all non steroidal anti inflammatory will affect her liver including aspirin. So, the better option for her is to stay on Tramadol long term.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other other suggestions besides tramadol and rimadyl?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

There are other non steroidal anti inflammatory like Previcox, metacam, etc. Or, you can discuss with your vet using a different class like Gabapentin. In addition, supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine) and/or give adequan injections.